Who are we?


We are one of the newest and oldest churches in Wales!

We were born in 1995 when New Trinity United Reformed Church joined with Llandaff Road Baptist Church. The roots of New Trinity go back to 1640 making it the second oldest non-conformist church in Wales. Llandaff Road goes back to 1853 when the original congregation were all Welsh speaking. In 2013 we joined with Grand Avenue United Reformed Church Ely which in 2005 had united with Saintwell URC. The roots of these Churches in the case of Grand Avenue go back to 1927 and Saintwell to 1894. They were both were firmly embedded in Ely and so now we are too. This has given a new dimension to our work as, through our URC links, we are now the URC church serving the west of Cardiff.

We belong to the Baptist Union of Great Britain and the United Reformed Church. We are committed to ecumenism nationally through our links with Cytûn and Enfys, and locally through our membership of The Canton and Riverside Fellowship of Churches.

As a congregation we come from a wide range of backgrounds and hold a variety of views on lots of different issues. As you would expect from our history we have people from Baptist and United Reformed roots but there are also people from Anglican, Brethren, Quaker, Roman Catholic traditions. We value this diversity and do not expect people to conform to a particular creed or understanding of Christianity.

We accept people regardless of their beliefs or sexual orientation and all the organisations that we work with operate on the same principle. As a sign of our commitment to a development of a truly multi-cultural Cardiff we initiated and hosted a 'United by Lights' evening which was run and attended by people from the faith communities around us. It was great to see Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Muslims, and Sikhs coming together in the church.

We believe that society has changed dramatically over the past 100 years or so and that the church needs to reform and rebuild to face the challenges that these changes have brought, and we try to make our worship real and our service relevant.

You can get an idea of what is already happening and what our future plans are by reading the section on mission.

 
 

Our Building


As part of our response to these challenges we are in the process of redeveloping our site. The building is in two halves. The first half, which is on the main street, was opened in October 2000. It is modern, light and we hope welcoming. The design reflects the vision of the congregation who want to be an open-fronted church so it is both flexible and accessible. The second half dates back to the 1930s and the intention is to demolish and rebuild in its place a more modern centre. However, it is kept in working order and is used every day of the year by at least one organisation.